Departmental Required Skills
- Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Open and transparent collaborator of information. Ability to lead and facilitate group discussion, maintaining focus, and productivity. Ability to present highly technical topics in a manner appropriately accessible to intended audiences. Attention to detail and ability to produce precise and robust documentation.
- Desire and ability to innovate and solve complex problems. At NC State, we Think and Do, and that is the core of the vision of the College of Engineering and ITECS Systems.
- Extensive knowledge in administering web and database infrastructures (Apache, PHP, MariaDB/MySQL, Docker).
- Proficiency in following and influencing modern development best practices (Object-oriented programming, version control, code review, auditing, automated testing). Comfortable working in legacy environments, making iterative improvements over time (as well as large-scale upgrades to existing infrastructures).
- Expert supporting and configuring Linux configuration management systems.
- Technical expertise regarding Linux server setup, implementation, and support.
- Experience and knowledge working with HPC environments in a research organization.
- Integration and guidance helping groups onboard into advance computing systems and HPC environments.
- Ability to collaborate with another university IT departments to affect change in the Linux and HPC enterprise environment within the university.
- Ability to analyze threats and institute/maintain an appropriate level of Information security for systems and servers.
- Knowledge and skills to troubleshoot and perform break-fix tasks on systems as necessary, including servers, appliances, and operations.
- Knowledge and ability to analyze and interpret error logs, monitor system performance data, and assess user information to ensure service reliability.
- Ability to operate in a VMWare/Hyper-V virtual environment.
- Master’s degree and at least three years of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Working with Linux systems. Knowledge and ability to work in a mixed enterprise environment consisting of Windows, Linux, macOS, and mobile operating systems.
- To adapt and work with technologies that will innovative and interesting to students and faculty in Engineering.